I built this outfit around the Excursion Quilted Vest in Herringbone from J. Crew. I’d been looking for a vest that I could wear to casual events in lieu of a winter jacket and when I saw this option from J.Crew, I fell in love. It has an old-school vibe from the tweed pattern, but the double zipper and black trim give it a more modern twist. I thought I’d be able to pair it with a lot in my wardrobe.
I ordered a small hoping it would be provide more shape around my waist than in the picture on J. Crew (see here). Unfortunately, it didn’t work. The vest is too big and it isn’t tailored around my waist. This makes my waist look like the same width as my hips. As a tall woman, this is a big faux pas. People call us big already, so the last thing we want to do is wear over-sized or ill-fitting clothes.
Overall, here are my thoughts:
- Size: The jacket fit fine in the arms and the length was fine, sitting just on my hip.
- Fit: There was little to no shape around my waist. As a tall woman, it’s extra important to accentuate our smaller areas to make us look more feminine and prevent us from looking “bigger”. I hate it when people say that!
- Material: The vest is made of polyester and is filled with a thin layer of down. When I took the photos it was in the high 30’s and I was definitely colder than I thought I was going to be.
- Details: I love the double zipper, standing collar, and black trim.
- Color: I LOVE the pattern and the neutral hues make it an easy item to pair with.
While I think this vest could be tailored to give it more shape, I think I will end up returning it and seeing if a smaller size does the trick.
Readers: Have you had any luck with puffy vests?